Sunday, May 10, 2009

Smithfield Health Days

On Saturday Ben and I ran our first official 10K (6.4 miles)! It was 3 miles up Smithfield Canyon, and then 3 miles back down with a small loop to get the extra little bit (which was up a super steep hill after 5 miles) to make it a full 10K. The temperature when we started the race was a balmy 33 degrees, which eventually warmed up to around 41 degrees by the time we finished. Ben completed his run in 56 minutes 24 seconds. Oh how I wish I could run that fast, but I wasn't too far behind. I crossed the finish line after 1 hour 3 minutes 19 seconds. We both enjoyed the run much more than we expected, and plan on running the same race again next year. It was the pick-me-up that we needed in our training to keep us going for the Wasatch Back in June. The sad thing is that I forgot to take my camera up so we have no pictures to show you, it was amazing to see over 200 people all geared up to go for a run. I'll have to remember for the next race that we do.



We did get our garden planted this past week.  Our garden includes things like tomatoes, peas, green beans, corn, peppers, zucchini, cucumbers, pumpkins, and my personal favorite eggplant.  We've never planted eggplant before and I don't think I've ever eaten it, but it came in a pack of starters that we bought so we'll see what happens with them.  Kiya and Jaynie had a great time digging in the dirt and putting the seeds in the holes, and getting their hands dirty.  They're just a handful of fun and make everything more exciting, because I even enjoyed planting this year.

3 comments:

Carly said...

way to go on running your 10k! finishing in 1 hour is still excellent time. i'm hoping to just make it through a 5k this summer- i don't know how you do twice that :)

Melanie said...

Great job you guys! Love the garden pics. Your girls are so cute!

Heather said...

I was one of those little weaklings that could never finish the mile run back in school in less than 10 minutes :( So, I applaud your skills.