Monday, January 25, 2010

Does a three-year-old have any tact?

I would argue NO. Over the past several days I have had some experiences that will prove my point.

1st: All of our crew (Ben, Kiya, Jaynie and I) were at the grocery store shopping. Ben was up next to the cashier, Kiya and I were standing back behind a little bit. Then Kiya turns to me and says in reference to the cashier, "Mom, look at that lady . . . she is sooo fat."
2nd: Ben and I took our girls to see the movie 'The Princess and the Frog'. After the show got over, which was absolutely adorable by the way, we went to the restroom. When Kiya and I were leaving the restroom a lady with crutches walked in. So Kiya asked about the lady and why she had crutches. I explained that she needed help walking all the time, so she uses the crutches. Then Kiya and I were waiting outside the restroom for Ben when a gentleman in a wheelchair pulled up to wait too. Then Kiya asks, "Mom what does he have?" To which I reply "Popcorn" trying to avoid an embarrassing situation. She of course isn't satisfied with that and says, "No, what is he sitting in?" I quickly explain that it is a wheelchair that helps him move. Then Kiya in her infinite 3 year old wisdom says very loudly, "Mom, he can't walk all the time so he needs that to help him move." The gentleman looked up chuckling and showed Kiya how his chair moved and how he could even go on only two wheels. I was grateful for his kindness and being willing to show off to Kiya.
3rd: The whole fam was at the grocery store shopping again. A gentleman walks near us and Kiya asks Ben who he is. Ben just says, " Ummm, a friend?" So then Kiya says to Ben, " Well, he looks really sick." This man turned to us and gave us the strangest look. He looked like a perfectly healthy man to me, but I guess not to Kiya.

Now I just wait for the next tactless incident, and in the mean time enjoy the sweet innocence of my little girl.

2 comments:

Tenaya Garrett said...

oh how fun! It does not get any better. This age, they want to know EVERYTHING about EVERYONE! But after all is said and done, just give your situation a little laugh. GOOD LUCK!

Carly said...

that is too funny! i'm sure not so funny at the time...but she meant well :)