Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My First Quilt




I came upon this blog a few months ago from a link my friend Emily posted. I found a tent there that I wanted to sew for my kids. Well, I was feeling in the crafty mood one day last week, and decided it was time to finally make a tent for the girls. Lets just say I'm now a little distracted from making a tent and am set on making my first quilt ever. All I know how to sew is straight lines, so hopefully this is just right up my alley. Care at Obsessively Stitching is running this series, and I get so antsy every day waiting for the next instructions on the quilt. It is so exciting for me, and I love making and creating things lately (I think it makes me feel like a little bit of a better mom). I honestly am disappointed each day when I have no new instructions on what to do for my quilt.

I took Kiya to the fabric store on Saturday to pick out the fabrics for her quilt. We had a great outing and spent over a good hour picking out fabric. I tried to get her to pick some pinks and purples or something similar but she was set on the yellow with ladybugs. There was nothing I could do to persuade her decision, so I spent forever trying to find 9 other fabrics that would match. Finally I ended up with classic primary colors, when I first got them home and started cutting out I was a little worried that I wouldn't like them together, but now I think they will look great together.

I was almost done cutting a got a little bit careless and cut 2 of the squares 5" instead of 6". It just so happened that that particular fabric ended up with about 2 inches extra, so instead of going and buying another cut of fabric I just sewed my 5" piece and 2" piece together and made a 6" square out of that. Hopefully this doesn't bother me later on. If it does I guess I will just have to deal with it.
And here's where I started getting really excited. Sewing the squares together, and guess what it was super easy. Care's suggestion of joining the blocks together in a chain is great. Maybe that is a commonly known thing among quilters, but I think it is a fabulous thing to know.

Then putting all the nine square blocks together. I decided that I should have picked more than 3 colors. It was quite difficult to not get the same colors next to each other. Now I'm wondering if it will be even more difficult after I cut the squares and have to rearrange them again. More to come again later after further instruction from Care.

7 comments:

Care said...

YAY!! I love the colors!! Your daughter picked a GREAT starting point with the ladybugs, and you did an excellent job matching up the other nine! I couldn't help but grin when I saw your color combinations!

I'm thrilled that you're so excited about making your quilt -- quilting is SO MUCH FUN! :o)

Lynette @ My Craft Discovery said...

Those are so cute together! How fun! I'm also doing my first quilt, but will be a tad behind the rest of you because I have finals coming up! Here's the link to my started quilt. http://craftdiscovery.blogspot.com/2010/04/sneak-peak.html

Denise said...

Great Colors! Cant wait to see the finished quilt. You can see the colors I picked on my blog as well.

Justin and Ashley said...

That is going to turn out so cute! BreAnne has always been the seamstress in our family I'm not much into sewing, but sometimes I wish I was. :)

Megan said...

I'm also quilting along with Care. Your colors are so bright and cheerful--I feel happy just looking at them. I'm sure it will make a wonderful quilt for Kiya.

Susan said...

I'm totally with Care-your colors are so bright and cheerful they just made me smile! My daughter loves that ladybug fabric. Thanks for sharing! Keep us updated!

Bemily said...

LOVE this fabric! You've got me in the crafting mode now. I am so excited to see the finished quilt. Miss you Amanda!